How do I distribute my Zakah
Zakah is for the poor and the needy; and those who collect them; for those whose hearts have been (recently) reconciled; and to free the captives and the debtors; and for the cause of Allah and for the wayfarer; a duty ordained by Allah; and verily Allah is All Knowing, All Wise. Quran (9:60)
- Zakah should be given as soon as possible after it becomes due. It is possible that death could occur and thus lead to failure in fulfilling ones obligations.
- A poor man cannot be paid for his work from Zakah, nor can Zakah be given in payment of anyone’s services.
- Zakah will be valid only if the receiver is made owner of the money.
- Zakah can be paid in-kind from the same merchandise on which it is due, or alternatively it can be paid in cash.
- Authority can be delegated to an organization such as Uplift Charity for the distribution of Zakah in order that it is utilized in accordance with the regulations of Zakah.
- It is best to give ones Zakah when it is due, rather than wait for Ramadan.